Bestival 2012: Highlights to check out
Error messageLoginRadius connection error: Not Found.
Please refer to the admininstrator.
When you look at UK festivals that fall within into the £180-£200+ ticket region, UK's Bestival is arguably one of the best events in terms of the variety of fun and entertainment you get to experience. Aside from the always important live music programme, Bestival offers so much non-music entertainment, that it's not unusual for people to attend purely for what's known as Alternative Bestival.
We've done a quick round-up of things to enjoy when you fancy taking a break from the live music. (Alternatively if you are all about the music, scroll down for music recommendations from the Wikifestivals team)
ALTERNATIVE BESTIVAL - TOP TEN TO CHECK OUT
1) Bollywood Tent & Cocktail Bus Kitted out by Josie Da Bank herself, this Indian styled tent and Cocktail bus is a popular for newbies and regulars alike. With DJ's often requesting to play their despite outgrowing the capacity. With it's massive Temple entrance and plenty of Indian day beds and parasols, you won't find a mood quite like it
2) Time For Tease A burlesque tea party in a very fabulous tent! Four shows a day and absolutely free, this event entertains 5,000 people a year!
3) Hotel Slumbarave Music, pillow fights and games for the nocturnal, all done with a spooky haunted vibe, don't forget to pack your onesie!
4) Arcadia Mechanical Cabaret The ultimate fire, laser and light show from the giant mechanical cabaret that is Arcadia. Flaming tornadoes, mushroom cloud explosions and a fire-breathing church organ along with a stonking DJ line-up!
5) Classic Album Sundays If you love hearing the stories behind classic albums, join this years event, which shall play many albums in full, uninterrupted once the story has been told. 2012 sees albums from Kate Bush, Beastie Boys, Stevie Wonder and more!
6) Swamp Shack Be sure to check out this Louisiana style porch stage, with a rocking mix of blues, folk and country music!
7) Cinema Cinema Cinema! catch a variety of films at the Nomad Cinema, Branchage Film Festival Takeover, Lost Picture Show and Sol Cinema. It would also be worth checking out 2011: A Space Odyssey, rescored by British band Teeth Of The Sea.
8) Mazy's Art Club Brand new to Bestival this year and situated in the Ballroom Field is Mazy's Art Club helping you to get back to your creative roots. It's miles ahead of your old after-school club but still requires you to stick out your tongue in concentration. Drop in and get into printmaking or giant origami; making anything from pin badges and mosaics to feathered headbands
9) Controversial Speakers and Joyful comedians From the comedian Ruby Wax to the dividing politics of David Icke, be sure to check out the talks, poetry offerings and discussions!
10) Daily Birthday Parties Every day a retro party will be held for anyone celebrating their special day! bring your friends along!
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE WIKIFESTIVALS TEAM
Live music wise, we asked the team at the office who they would recommend seeing and here is what they said.
Sarah Reeves, Intern "I'd go check out Lianne La Havas, stunning babe with a guitar what's not to like?! I'd also have a look at King Charles, I love the over dramatic romantic air of his songs, plus he plays quite a lot of different instruments and was classically trained so it gives deep to his sound, something seriously lacking in pop music me thinks!"
Cynthia Franklin, Content/Managing Editor "I don't need to tell you what head-liners to see, as anyone who chooses to miss Stevie Wonder is nuts, but in terms of the little bands, I'd wholeheartedly recommend checking out Clement Marfo & The Frontline. I stumbled upon them at this year's Camden Crawl and the mood they create is so infectious I had to experience it a second time! I've been following them ever since and you may have heard their tune Champion during the BBC Olympic Coverage! Go see them, you will leave with a big smile I promise"
Ed Mellett, Editor "I'd go and see The XX, it's a great way to spend an hour on ketamine"