WOMAD, which stands for World of Music, Arts and Dance, is an international festival brand, with various countries hosting their own WOMAD festival and take on the WOMAD ethos.
The very name of the festival reflects the organisations aims "to be embracing but non-definitive, inspiring and outward looking; and more than anything, enthusiastic about a world that has no boundaries in its ability to communicate through music and movement."
WOMAD around the world
To find out line-up, ticket and event details for all the WOMAD branch festivals, click any of the following relevant links:
- WOMAD Charlton Park (United Kingdom)
- WOMADelaide (Adelaide, South Australia)
- WOMAD New Zealand (Taranaki, New Zealand)
- WOMAD Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi, UAE)
- WOMAD Cáceres (Extremaduara, Spain)
- WOMAD Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Canary Islands, Spain)
The first ever WOMAD event was held in 1982 at the Bath & West Showground in Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
Over the intervening 30 years, the Peter Gabriel-fronted organisation has hosted festivals across the globe, from Sicily to Seattle, Adelaide to Abu Dhabi.